“Overpass,” (trailer) color HD, experimental documentary, 5 minutes, 2014. Dir. Kami Chisholm. Distributed by CFMDC.
Beginning with a seeming ordinary afternoon drive down a Los Angeles highway, “Overpass” weaves together intimate stories of histories of racial and domestic violence against the backdrop of the infamous OJ Simpson car chase in 1994. In this lyrical, experimental short, filmmaker Kami Chisholm draws from television news reports, archival footage, and her own family history to explore the gaps between celebrity spectacle and the mundane realities of interpersonal violence endemic to US society.
Purchase or rent this film from the Canadian Filmmakers Distribution Centre.
- New Toronto Works, Pleasure Dome | Toronto, October
- Imagining Crisis Conference, York University | Toronto, November
- Festival of (In)appropriation | Los Angeles, February
- Trinity Square Video | Toronto, March
- Essay Film Festival | London, March
- Spectacle Theatre | New York, May
- Antimatter | Victoria (BC), October
- Bienal de la Imagen en Movimiento | Brazil, November